Carjacker in custody after crashing into Fairfax Co. gas pump

Police say a 20-year-old D.C. man is under arrest for carjacking a teenage driver and then crashing the car.

WASHINGTON — A 20-year-old D.C. man was arrested and taken into custody for carjacking a teenage driver and then crashing the car into a pump at a gas station in Fairfax County. Police say Mecca Lee-Bey is being held without bond and is charged with carjacking and grand larceny. 

Just after 4:30 p.m. on Monday, FCPD says they got a call from loss prevention at a store at Tysons Corner Center about a man seen stealing more than $2,500 worth of items from a store. When officers approached, he took off running and went into a parking garage. They later identified the suspect as Lee-Bey.

Police say the officers witnessed him attempt to open the door of a 2013 Kia Optima, that was being driven by a teenager. 

FCPD says the teenager panicked and drove away, as Lee-Bey held on to the door and was dragged a short distance.

Police say the victim stopped and got out of the car, as Lee-Bey jumped in and drove off, heading westbound on Leesburg Pike, before making an abrupt U-turn. It’s at that point that surveillance footage obtained exclusively by WUSA9 shows the suspect turn into a Shell gas station along the 8100 block of Leesburg Pike and slam into a gas pump.

Police say he ran inside the gas station but was taken into custody shortly after. WUSA9 is told he was treated at the hospital for minor injuries that he got while being dragged but has since been taken to the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center where he is charged with carjacking and grand larceny.

Anyone who may have information about this carjacking is asked to call 703-246-7800, option 5. Tips can also be submitted anonymously through Crime Solvers by phone – 1-866-411-TIPS (866-411-8477). 

Victim specialists from the Major Crimes Bureau’s Victim Services Division have been assigned to ensure the victim is receiving appropriate resources and help.

According to the Metropolitan Police Department Lee-Bey was arrested and charged with kidnapping, armed robbery (knife), simple assault, unauthorized use of a vehicle, and theft one (stolen auto) on Monday, Oct. 23. 

The incident happened on Oct. 20. D.C. Police say they received a call for a report of a kidnapping in the 3000 block of 30th Street, Southeast. Once on scene, officers say they found the victim, who told them he was robbed at knifepoint, assaulted and held against his will.

“He held a knife and said give me all you have give me all your money, your wallet, your car key,” the victim who asked WUSA9 not to use his name said.

He told WUSA9 the suspect forced him into a closet and told another man to keep him there.

“He asked a guy to watch me. He told the guy ‘Don’t let this guy go or else I’m going to kill you,'” the victim told WUSA9.

On Monday, Oct. 23, D.C. Police say they responded to the  600 block of Irving Street, Northwest to assist a Maryland law enforcement agency who followed the stolen car taken in the October 20 incident, into D.C. and arrested two men.

They were identified as Mecca Lee-Bey, 20, of Southeast, D.C. He was charged with Kidnapping, Armed Robbery (Knife), Simple Assault, Unauthorized Use of a Vehicle and Theft One (Stolen Auto).

Tumarcus Hawkins, 26, of Southeast, D.C. was also arrested. He was charged with Fleeing from Law Enforcement, Unauthorized Use of a Vehicle, and two counts of Possession with Intent to Distribute a Controlled Substance.

The victim told WUSA9 that detectives told him that the suspect was going to jail for a long time.

He was surprised to learn that the person suspected of attacking him, was arrested just days later in Fairfax County.

“Man, that’s bad, that’s bad,” he told WUSA9.

“When it’s all said and done and you hear something like that it is frustrating for the officers, but we also realize we are just one part of the criminal justice system,” said Fairfax County Police Department Public Information Officer Sgt. Jacob Pearce.

WUSA9 contacted DC Courts to find out what happened with the case and why Lee-Bey would have been released. They directed us to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for D.C., who told us “We can neither confirm nor deny investigations”.

FCPD says he is currently being held with no bail at the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center.


WUSA9 is now on Roku and Amazon Fire TVs. Download the apps today for live newscasts and video on demand.  

Download the WUSA9 app to get breaking news, weather and important stories at your fingertips.  


Sign up to receive the latest local, national & international Criminal Justice News in your inbox, everyday.

We don’t spam! Read our [link]privacy policy[/link] for more info.

Sign up today to receive the latest local, national & international Criminal Justice News in your inbox, everyday.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

This post was originally published on this site